The Role of Governors
Our main role is to support the Headteacher and the staff – the phrase often used to describe this role is ‘a critical friend’. We help them to set and reach targets and to strive for excellence across the whole spectrum of school life.
The Governing Committee has particular responsibilities for:
- Setting aims and planning for the future of the school
- Agreeing targets to raise standards of achievement
- Ensuring that the curriculum meets the needs of all pupils
- Monitoring the school budget
- Staffing issues, including appointing the Headteacher and other staff, and determining salaries
- Deciding the school’s policies
- Making sure all pupils have equal opportunities within the school and providing for pupils with special educational needs
- Ensuring the school site is well maintained, safe and secure
- Dealing with complaints about the school
The Governing Committee meets at least once every term.
There are several categories of governor, appointed by different groups that have an interest in the school. These are Community governors, Parents, and Staff. All governors have equal status, however they are appointed.
Our Parent governors are elected by parents. Staff governors are elected by school staff. Community governors are appointed by the Olympus Remuneration and Nominations Committee on behalf of the Olympus Board of Trustees.
We are committed to providing an excellent environment for all pupils to enjoy during their time at our school.
Chair of Governors
View the following documents: